With Spring right around the corner, it’s time for homeowners to make sure that their roof is in tip-top shape. All the conditions that winter has to throw at your house from wind, freezing rain, and snow can surely make an impact. So, how is your roof? Is it ready to handle those April showers? Follow these maintenance tips to ensure it is up for the rest of the year and that you can extend the life of your roof.
Gutter Cleaning: Cleaning your gutters is one of the first and simpler tasks that you should target after winter. Your gutters can build up a ton of gunk during the winter seasons and with so much rain surely to come within the next few months you want to make sure that your gutters aren’t clogged.
Secure a ladder at the top of your roof and make sure that it’s secure on level ground. You should extend the ladder three feet past the gutter for proper safety.
Roof Inspection: We always suggest hiring an expert to properly inspect your roof. They will be able to safely and more efficiently notice issues that you may be having. But, when cleaning your gutters this is a great time to peak at your roof for any roofing issues. Finding problems with your roof at this time will allow for proper maintenance that will prevent serious issues come spring and summer.
- Look for any missing or curled shingles. These are signs of wear and tear and are inexpensive to fix.
- Look for any fungus or algae build up.
- Examine your roofs flashing to make sure it’s intact.
Other important roofing maintenance tasks:
- Sweep off any and all debris that is on your roof. Sticks, leaves and other debris can damage your shingle, cause algae growth and eventually when they slide down your roof they can cause gutter clogging.
- Trim any branches that are hanging over your house. Heavy snow and winds can certainly alter the position of your tree branches. Doing so will keep your house safe if branches break off and it will also keep animals such as squirrels and raccoons away.
So many people ignore these important roofing maintenance tips during the spring and small issues eventually lead to some serious ones.
For more information about roofing maintenance, repair or replacements please feel free to contact the specialists at Jancon Exteriors. We can be reached over the phone at 508-520-3935 or fill out our online contact form.