While in New England it may not feel like it, but winter is honestly right around the corner. We are a little over a month away from December and that means your home has to be ready to endure all that mother nature has to throw at it. One part of your home that might get tested more than any other part during the winter is your roof. To ensure that your roof is ready for all the freezing temperatures, ice and snow there are a few things you can do to get it ready.
1.Clean Debris Out Of Gutters: Cleaning gutters is an absolutely crucial fall activity. If water cannot drain properly then you should expect leaks.
2. Clean Your Downspouts: While clean gutters are great, they won’t help too much if you have clogged up downspouts. Make sure water can easily make its way from your roof down to the ground.
3. Inspect Your Attic: It is crucial during the winter months that your roof is properly insulated and ventilated. Here are a few things you can check for:
- Does the insulation in your attic not look to have a uniform appearance?
- Is there any evidence of staining in the attic or upstairs ceiling?
- Is there any evidence of animals past or present?
- Are your fans and vents working correctly?
4. Trim Nearby Trees: Falling trees and limbs are a major issue for homes during the winter because all of the extra weight that ice and snow put on them. Make sure that there are no branches hanging over or close to your home.
If you have any questions about the quality of your roof, please reach out to a professional. Jancon Exteriors is a leading contractor servicing much of Massachusetts. We are happy to address your concerns. We can be contacted over the phone at (508) 520-3935 or through our online contact form.